Saturday, June 12, 2010

Reinstalled Lucid Lynx

I upgraded my old CRT monitor with new LCD monitor. Ubuntu identified my monitor and I did not have to configure anything. My old monitor had a generic driver for monitor and Nvidia driver for my video card. After usage for some time, a message appeared that recommended change of driver for my video card suitable for my new monitor. I pressed "yes". When I re-booted, only wallpaper appeared and all others vanished including menus. I could not operate my PC. I thought of booting through recovery mode and correct through command line operation.

I must admit that I felt lazy to do that. Instead I adopted the route of fresh install of Lucid Lynx (Ubuntu 10.04). When I upgraded last to Lucid Lynx, I had some unwanted apps also residing in my PC. A fresh install has made my PC a lot clean. Loading all my apps could be done mostly through "Ubuntu Software Center" or "Synaptic Package Manager". A few, that could not be installed through these two, could be installed through Debian package Installer. It is like MSI installer in Windows.

My Ubuntu is back in full productive mood!

No comments: